We are a Data Controller under the terms of the Data Protection Act 2018. We are registered with the Information Commissioner No: 00013878332
This Privacy Notice explains what patient Personal Information the practice holds, why we hold and process it, who we might share it with, and your rights and freedoms under the Law.
Our Contact Details
Stedham House Dental Surgery, 34 Ewell Road, Surbiton, Surrey KT6 6HX
Tel: 020 8399 2376 Email: email@example.com
Data Protection queries: firstname.lastname@example.org
What types of patients’ Personal Information do we hold?
The practice holds patients’ Personal Information in the following categories:
- Name, identity, (e.g.date of birth) and contact details
- Family details including anyone who may need to give consent for your care
- Medical history, your GP’s details, your NHS number
- Dental history, records of treatment provided, x-rays and photographs
- Payment details and financial information in connection with your care
- Correspondence relating to your care
Why do we process patients’ Personal Information (what is the “purpose”?)
“Process” means we obtain, store, update and archive your information.
Patients’ Personal Information is held for the purpose of providing patients with appropriate, high quality, safe and effective dental care and treatment and the maintenance of accurate records.
What is the Lawful Basis for processing your Personal Information?
The Law says we must tell you this:
We hold patients’ Personal Information because it is in our Legitimate Interest to do so. Without holding the Information we cannot provide your care and treatment effectively. We must hold information on NHS care and treatment as it is a Public Task required by law.
What do we do with your Information?
We will only share your information if it is done securely and it is necessary for us to do so.
- Your personal information may be securely shared with other heath-care professionals who need to be involved in your care (for example if we refer you to a specialist, need laboratory work undertaken or need to consult with your doctor)
- We may also share your personal information securely to third parties where we are required by law or regulation to do so. This may include:
- The General Dental Council
- The Care Quality Commission
- Dental payment plans or insurers
- NHS Bodies
How do we store your Information?
Your Information is stored securely at the practice on protected computer systems. Computer information is backed up regularly and may be securely stored away from our premises.
We will keep your Information for as long as you are having dental care and treatment from us or ask us to remind you or send you future appointments. Otherwise we will archive it (that is, store your Information without processing it) for as long as the NHS or other trusted experts advise. For 11 years from you last contact with us (or until you are age 25 if you are under 18).
What are your data protection rights?
Under data protection law you have the right to:
- Be informed about the personal information we hold and why we hold it.
- Have a copy of your data that we hold by contacting us directly: we will acknowledge your request and supply a response within one month or sooner, without charge
- Check the information we hold about you is correct and if not to make corrections.
- Have your data erased in certain circumstances.
- Transfer your information to someone else if you tell us to do so and it is safe and legal to do so.
- Tell us not to actively process or update your information in certain circumstances.
What if you are not happy or wish to raise a concern about our processing of your Information?
You can complaint in the first instance to us, our Data protection Officer who is Andrew Tomalin, Tel 020 8399 2376 and we will do our best to resolve the matter. If this fails, you can complain to the Information Commissioner at
- www.ico.org.uk/concerns, by calling 0303 123 1113 or writing to : The Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF